Thursday 10 March 2011

Choosing The Name

It took me a while to decide on the name of my newspaper, I looked at the existing names of local newspapers and from this I decided that I was including 'Thanet' in my name as I saw this as a key aspect for a local newspaper - to have the name of the area in the title of the product. I also chose to have 'Thanet' in my name as this is following the codes and conventions as after doing research I found that local newspapers have the name of the area in the name, for example...
  • Isle of Thanet Gazette
  • Thanet Times
  • Your Thanet
Therefore, after looking at these names I came up with a couple of idea for my own newspaper...
  • Thanet Weekly
  • Thanet News
  • Thanet Messenger
These final three were the names in which me and my focus group had decided on, yet couldn't decide between them. There were split thoughts of each of the names for different reasons, a group within my focus group favored 'Thanet Weekly' as the newspaper is being sold weekly, therefore, this name demonstrated that, as well as being catchy. Each group within the focus group each had reasons for their favored name. So, to help make the decision I went and spoke to the editor of one of my local newspapers, and spoke to them about what was needed from a newspapers name and which one they preferred out of my final three.
The editor said that in their opinion the name of a newspaper has to be catchy so that it stays in the readers mind, gives a cross a message, has the name of the area it's looking at, to name a few.
After taking this into account, I spoke to the editor about which name they could see being on the front of a local newspaper, after I explained the reasons for each of the names, the editor gave her opinion. Her decision was 'Thanet Messenger', she thought of this one to be the best and most appropriate news as the name was catchy and memorable, it includes the areas name, has a certain ring to it, and gets across to the audience the way in which the newspaper passes on information about their local area.
After discussing to my focus group again and taking into account what the editor had to say about the names, I decided on...'THANET MESSENGER'

No comments:

Post a Comment